Sound initialization (alsaconf) difficulty

After an upgrade some time ago, my system no longer initializes
the sound system.  It was posted before that this could be overcome
by removing the alsa modules manually, then running udevtrigger.
Currently, whenever I reboot, I run alsaconf until it removes the
modules, then escape and run udevtrigger.  This works, but is
there a way to restore automatic initialization on boot?  I'm
running Debian Sid, kernel 2.6.23.  Thanks for any help.