Re: 256 color

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 07:54:56AM -0500, KeLEEgrl28@aol.com wrote:
> Could you please send me the information on how to change my  16 bit
> color to  256 color. I have tried through my display settings but when
> I restart my computer it goes right back to 16 bits.

16 bit is more colours than 256 colours (which is 8 bit).

To answer the "how" part of the question, its down by debconf.  The
trick is figuring out which xorg package it is.  Try something like:

# dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

If it asks about the default number of bits (8, 16, 24, 32), then answer
as you wish and you've found the right package.  If it doesn't, try a
different xorg package.  Note that debconf will use the current existing
settings as a default to present you.  So you can just accept the
default until you get to the appropriate question.

Doug.