Re: Installing a new Linux build on a Debian distro

On Sat, 2007.11.10 18:49, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:50:42 -0600, Owen wrote:
> > start with /boot/config-2.6.18-4-486 as your config.  Be sure to include the
> > initrd option when compiling the kernel with make-kpkg.
>
> I'm curious; why do you recommend initrd?  I built plenty of kernels
> using kernel-package without initrd without a problem; I only began to
> use initrd when I began to use s2disk, which encourages it.

When I first started compiling kernels, I built one using the Debian config as
a starting point, compiled, rebooted, and got a kernel panic.  This was because
some modules were required to load the root fs.  Using an initrd fixed that.
Also, (I think) uswsusp _requires_ an initrd.  At least, one system I set up
recently wouldn't resume after an s2disk without an initrd.  (If there is some
way to resume without using an initrd say please.)

So I suggest using an initrd for anyone who isn't sure that they don't need
one.  Once they figure out how to configure the kernel, then they can drop the
initrd if they so choose.