Re: Installing a new Linux build on a Debian distro

On Thu, 2007.11.08 20:58, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Randy Patterson - [Tech] wrote:
> > I'm looking for some advise before installing a version of Linux that I
> > built from the latest source. I am very pleased with the Debian/Lenny
> > distro that I use and my only real reason for building my own kernel is
> > more for educational purposes than anything but I would also like to
> > compile a kernel that is configured for the specific system that I install
> > it on. But here's my question. So that I don't break my Debian distro do I
> > always need to download the version of the kernel source of my current
> > distro? My current version is 2.6.18-4-486 but the latest stable Linux
> > kernel is 2.6.23.1. If I build that version will it break my system? Or
> > maybe someone could point me to a good updated reference doc that deals
> > with this subject.
>
> You can have multiple kernels installed on the same system. Install the
> debian kernel and then compile whatever kernel version you like inside
> that. If you do everything correctly, then when you boot, you should see
> separate options for both the kernels in the grub prompt. Choose the one
> you desire and boot into that kernel.

You'll want to use tools in the 'kernel-package' package, and probably should
start with /boot/config-2.6.18-4-486 as your config.  Be sure to include the
initrd option when compiling the kernel with make-kpkg.

These links may help:
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.en.html
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html