Re: How to mount ext3 so the files belong to a specific user?

Jochen Schulz wrote:
Kent West:
I have a partition that I'm mounting in a specific user's home directory, and want that user to be able to read/write to that partition.

However, I've been unable to find (google, man, etc) any way to accomplish this; the few hints I have found indicate it works fine with a VFAT partition, or that you can manually chown the perms after the mount, but it seems crazy to me that you'd not be able to set ownership at mount time.

As far as I know, you can't. And I think this is reasonable, since
ownership info is stored in the filesystem itself (as opposed to VFAT,
which doesn't know the concept of ownership at all).

Are you aware that you only need to tweak the permissions to your liking
once? Just create an ext2/3 filesystem, mount it as root and then change
the permissions of the mount point. This will affect the root directory
of your new file system and doesn't affect the mount point's
permissions. (Sounds weird, but if you think about it, it's the best
thing to do.)

That's nuts! (to my way of thinking, at least). The directory originally belonged to westk (as in the transcript below); so why should I need to change it to belong to westk (to whom it already belongs)? That's simply, certifiably, nutzoid. But it works, as you say. Hunh. Go figure. Nuts. Just...plain...nuts. But since this works, thanks for the answer; that helps a lot. (But it's still crazy....)

westk@westek:~$ ls -lhd VMs/
drwxr-xr-x 2 westk westk 4.0K 2007-11-13 17:09 VMs/

westk@westek:~$ sudo mount VMs/
westk@westek:~$ ls -lhd VMs/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K 2007-11-13 17:08 VMs/

westk@westek:~$ sudo chown -R westk:westk VMs/
westk@westek:~$ ls -lhd VMs/
drwxr-xr-x 3 westk westk 4.0K 2007-11-13 17:08 VMs/

westk@westek:~$ sudo umount VMs/

--
Kent