Re: lprng + magicfilter + hpijs => hp deskjet 680c

On Nov 7, 2007 9:11 PM, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com>:
> >  On 11/4/07, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please, what does "I can't get to use" mean?  Error messages?  Log
> entries?  See /var/log for the latter.

The error is simple, and it was provided previously, it's gs
complaining about the device hpijs not found.  From previous post "I
always get the message from gs indicating hpijs device not found".
This is because I'm trying to use magicfilter selecting the hpijs
driver, which provides under printcap something like:

:if=/etc/magicfilter/hpijs-filter:\

Which calls gs like:

/usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300 -sDEVICE=hpijs <...>

And that way to specify hpijs seems not to be recognized by gs, :(...
Any ways, now I'm calling foomatic-rip directly, and things seem to
work as expected...  Under the ppd, I can change the default values,
:)...

> >  BTW:  Is there a way to set the quality on /etc/printcap directly, so
> >  by default everything prints on economic/draft quality under such
> >  configuration?
>
> Here's my /etc/printcap for an Epson Stylus Photo 900:
>
> lp0|To Your Left: \
>     :lp=/dev/lp0: \
>     :force_localhost: \
>     :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
>     :ppd=/usr/local/ppd/Epson-Stylus_Photo_870-Stp870p.upp.ppd: \
>     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
>     :mx#0:sh:
>
> It's not rocket science, once you find the ppd that matches your
> printer closely enough, but I think print quality may be app
> specific.

Good thing is that openoffice allows color depth specification.  Bad
news is that it allows me to select between 8 and 24 only.  It also
allows color selection, :)...  Bad thing is that iceape does not allow
any quality setting, only color, :(  And I bet that as I changed the
Default mode to Draft, when I perform "lpr /etc/printcap", then it'll
use draft instead of any other mode...

> CUPS or foomatic config may do that for you.

foomatic-config is not 100% compatible with lprng, so the manual file generated:

lp|hp680c|HP-DeskJet-680C:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp680c:\
        :sh:mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip:\
        :ppd=/usr/share/ppd/hpijs/HP/HP-DeskJet_680C-hpijs.ppd:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Is enough for now, :)...  I do not want to use cups.  I've used cups
in the past, and although pretty simple (for foomatic-rip usage I had
to uncompress the specific ppd I needed for example, since hpijs-ppds
comes with the ppd's compressed), I don't like the huge dependency on
things I don't like, such as dbus and avahi, etc...

> I've used the hp and dj filters in the past, but that was a long time
> ago, sorry.

Your help has been enlightenning.  See I wanted to use magicfilter (I
still do, but I don't see how to make the magic work yet), and I was
aware of another filter called ifhp.  But it seems that for hpijs
usage the best thing to do is to use foomatic-rip...

Thanks a lot,

--
Javier