Re: Clamav (was Re: Apache2 Still Dying (Solved!))

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 10:49:54AM -0800, Raquel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:36:46 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 07:16:49AM -0800, Raquel wrote:

> > > At least I think it's solved!  The server has been serving pages
> > > for 24 hours now and doesn't seem to be slowing.  I'm so happy.
> > > Maybe this horrible headache I've had for the past week will
> > > finally abate.
> > >
> > > The culprit?  php5-clamav
> > >
> > > I removed the php5-clamav module and everyone seems happy!
> >
> > Were you actually using php5-clamav or was it just randomly on?
> > I"m always curious about clamav stuff as its the weak link in my
> > mail system. Its so large that it maxes out my mail server's
> > memory and causes swapping which will cause clamav to not respond
> > in time... blah blah blah... paniclog entries. annoying.
> >

> I use clamav on all my servers and haven't noticed a huge load like
> you're describing.  Of course, I may not get as much mail as you do
> either.  I have it set so that it checks all incoming mail and it
> also checks the file system every so often.
>
> php5-clamav is supposed to scan any files uploaded via a php script.
>  Somewhere (I wasn't able to determine where) it was doing something
> that stopped Apache from serving pages.
>
> I wonder why you're getting such a load from clamav?

its a memory issue. I've not got enough memory in that machine. Clamav
gets a pretty big memory footprint and it ends up getting swapped
out. When the machine is in the midst of cron jobs or other load
generating/disk intensive stuff, it will timeout while waiting to swap
back in. No biggie. just need to up the memory.