Clamav (was Re: Apache2 Still Dying (Solved!))

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:36:46 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 07:16:49AM -0800, Raquel wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:56:45 -0800
> > Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I ran mtest86+ and the memory checked out ... no errors.
> > >
> > > I ran strace /usr/sbin/apache2 and can see no errors.
> > >
> > > I have googled until my eyes are red and sore.
> > >
> > > Apache2 is still dying (stops delivering pages) after anywhere
> > > from 15 minutes to 5 hours.  I cannot find a reason in any of
> > > the server logs, messages or syslog.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Raquel
> >
> > At least I think it's solved!  The server has been serving pages
> > for 24 hours now and doesn't seem to be slowing.  I'm so happy.
> > Maybe this horrible headache I've had for the past week will
> > finally abate.
> >
> > The culprit?  php5-clamav
> >
> > I removed the php5-clamav module and everyone seems happy!
>
> Were you actually using php5-clamav or was it just randomly on?
> I"m always curious about clamav stuff as its the weak link in my
> mail system. Its so large that it maxes out my mail server's
> memory and causes swapping which will cause clamav to not respond
> in time... blah blah blah... paniclog entries. annoying.

I use clamav on all my servers and haven't noticed a huge load like
you're describing.  Of course, I may not get as much mail as you do
either.  I have it set so that it checks all incoming mail and it
also checks the file system every so often.

php5-clamav is supposed to scan any files uploaded via a php script.
 Somewhere (I wasn't able to determine where) it was doing something
that stopped Apache from serving pages.

I wonder why you're getting such a load from clamav?

--
Raquel
Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men.