Re: Kppp

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Darko shared this with us all:
>--} Mark Grieveson wrote:
>--} >>> Did you log out and then log back in? When adding yourself to a new
>--} >>> group, it is easiest to just log out and log back in so the change
>--} >>> will take effect. There are other ways to do it, but that is the
>--} >>> easiest.
>--} >>>
>--} >
>--} >
>--} >>>  John
>--} >>>
>--} >
>--} >
>--} >> Yes i log in back after i adduser darko dip and finally work but now
> i --} >> have problems with dev/modem /dev/ttsy0 modem is on ttsy0 and kppp
> --} >> recognized it only on /dev/modem but when i try to connect it
> refuses --} >> any solution???
>--} >>
>--} >
>--} >
>--} >> Darko
>--} >>
>--} >
>--} > You could always try pressing the Configure button, and then the
> Modems --} > tab, and then select your modem and press the "Edit" button,
> and then --} > select the Device tab, and then from the drop-down list
> beside "Modem --} > device" select /dev/ttyS0
>--} >
>--} > Mark
>--}
>--} Yes i tried but does not work.
>--}
>--} Darko

When I was using dial up. up to just a couple of months ago, I had found kppp
to be quite problematical. It was the reason I moved from Mandrake to Debian,
as I was trying to connect through a USB to RS232 cable to my external
Maestro modem.

Kppp did work all right with the same modem using a normal cable between it
and the computer. But even though kppp recognised the modem going through the
USB to RS232 cable, it wouldn't connect. Kppp also wouldn't connect at all
well or every time using a PCMCIA modem at the time.

Moving to Debian and using pon, changed all that. Pon worked a treat every
time without fault with any of the above hardware.

So have a try with pon I reckon, and see how you go.

I'm not certain I ever had to log out and back in after setting up pon. But it
sounds like others have needed to do this. Even do a hard reboot just to make
certain if it doesn't work with log in and log out. Use pppconfig to make it
easier.

HTH
Charlie
--