Bug in installer /w Dell SAS 5iR

Hi there.

When installing Debian Etch 4 on a machine with a Dell SAS 5iR controller if the disks have previously had an OS installed on them the installer will stop at the “partitions formatting” stage at 33% for roughly 3-4 Hours depending on the size of the “DELL virtual Disk” to format the partition. If the drives have not previously had an OS installed on them the format will be very quick, I believe this is either a bug in the installer the driver or both, can anyone offer me any tips to speed up this process?

Thanks,

Drew