Re: Advice on automated text processing script

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 11:47:54PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I thought of no better place than to ask the experts here at deb-users list. ;)
>
> Anyways, I wanted to write a script that takes a "snapshot" of the current screen on the serial console.
>
>  - i.e. I have a device connected through an RS-232 interface and I want to save the output into a text file and process it.
>
>  - Ex. "Bytes Rcvd        32494830" -> I want to be able to use this number.
>
> Now comes several different questions.
>
>  1. Should I use a software like cutecom and script it?
>
>  2. Or should I use perl/python/tcl? Do they have packages that have direct access to the RS-232 port?

Yes there is a package for python that will access a serial port.  No I
haven't tried it.

You you need to both script and interact?  I'm not sure what you mean by
scrpt.  Do you just want to log whatever comes in on the serial port?

There's a serial logger package.  There's minicom that I think has a log
option.

Doug.