Re: Deletion of files from usb-key

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 02:49:06AM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:

> To check whether I should feel guilty giving that advice, I've checked
> my listed procedure with my own usb stick. It survived it without any
> problem and with the expected results: overwriting /dev/sda (in my case
> it's sda) and plugging the stick out and in again made the kernel tell
> me about "unknown partition table", and udev only created a /dev/sda
> device, no /dev/sda1 device; cfdisk let me create a new partition table,
> /dev/sda1 appeared, being empty, and I could format and mount and use
> it. (I can give you the logs of my procedure and kernel outputs if you
> want.)
>
> That could mean your hardware is just broken, or it's of a kind that
> can't be dealt with in the 'usual' way.

Your method is also standard procedure here on my USB stick too when I
want to clear it.

I've never had a stick go bad so I can't advise the OP that it is dead.
However, should he decide that it is, he just has to ensure that the
data is not private before he throws it out.  Or, he has to physically
distroy the stick.

Doug.