how to maintain DRI packages built from git

Hi

I built DRI from source since I needed some very recent fix. I don't
know how long it takes for new code to reach debian unstable/testing
repositories, which are the ones I'm using. The installation is as
simple as copying the compiled libraries to the relevant places, so I
couldn't (or figured out how to) use stow or checkinstall (the latter
gave me an error about overwriting some package). Therefore I did just
backup every library I had to replace with the freshly compiled ones.

I feel uneasy having these libraries without the system knowing it, is
there any more elegant way to deal with this?

Thanks