Re: .deb ?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 06:31:17PM -0800, jekillen wrote:
> I just downloaded the file
> debian-reference-en_1.11_all.deb
> from the Debian site. What is this;
> a zipped archive file? It is supposed
> to be english html version of Debian reference.
> If it is a tarball, should I rename it so tar can
> extract it?

Its a debian package, a deb.  If you're on debian you install it just
like any other package.  If you're not on debian and just want it so you
can read it without installing debian, you may want to check on the
debian website under docs.  I think it is available as a plain tarball
or something that you can read on non-debian systems easier than
unpacking the deb.

The website: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference

in section 1.1.  Says that there are several formats available for
download at http://qref.sourceforge.net.

I don't see an html tarball there; the html links to index.html.

However, there are pdf, ps, and txt.

Doug.