Re: ssh port not opening

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:44:00PM +0000, John O Laoi wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running etch on a dell laptop.
> I recently installed ssh:
> aptitude install ssh
>  and started it:
> /etc/init.d/ssh start
> yet when I look for open ports with nmap localhost, port 22 is not open.
> When I run
> # ps -e | grep ssh
> I get
>  3450 ?        00:00:00 ssh-agent
>
> # ps aux | grep ssh
> john   3450  0.0  0.0   4132   692 ?        Ss   09:24   0:00
> /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
> x-session-manager
> root     22026  0.0  0.0   2852   712 pts/0    S+   17:43   0:00 grep ssh

ssh-agent is *not* the program that allows ssh connections. That is
sshd. It should be started with /etc/ini.d/ssh start as root. Is there
no output when you do that? Anything in the logs?

> However, I cannot ssh into my host.
> The contents of  /etc/default/ssh is

that's because sshd is not running and needs to be.

> # cat /etc/default/ssh
>
> # Default settings for openssh-server. This file is sourced by /bin/sh from
> # /etc/init.d/ssh.
>
> # Options to pass to sshd
> SSHD_OPTS=

that file looks just fine. Something else is preventing it from
starting. Possibly try starting it from the command line directly,
instead of through the initscript so that you can watchmore closely
what is happening (and turn up the verbosity etc).

> Any clues?
>
> Also, how do I check the status of a service?
> On SUSE, I used
> /etc/init.d/service-name  status

some services provide a status option, but not all. ssh does not. If
you run the /etc/init.d/service-name without any options, it will
provide usage informaitno.