Need help with install/config of bugzilla

I have Sarge and Edgy 32-bit installed on systems and have tried, unsuccessfully, via apt-gets, to get bugzilla to talk to mysql. I have performed no manual tweaking.

I've read several web postings and bug reports reflecting the error I keep seeing - bugzilla is unable to connect to localhost, usually with respect to whatever password, or lack of, I supply.

I'm at a loss, with all the problems people are posting, including my own experiences, how to make bugzilla happy talking with mysql server.

Thanks for any insight.

Scott