Re: disable mounting of bogus CD device on Toshiba USB stick?

Paul Wise wrote:
Hi,

[As indicated in the Reply-To, please CC me on any replies]

I got a Toshiba USB stick recently. It exposes two devices; a normal
writable USB mass storage device, and a faked USB optical drive. The
optical drive contains some windows apps for what seems to be a
management application for portable applications. Since I run only
Debian GNU/Linux on my laptop and have no use for the Windows app, I'd
like GNOME automount to ignore the fake optical drive that the USB stick
exposes. Does anyone know how to make GNOME not mount specific devices?

This is what lsusb tells me:

Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0930:6540 Toshiba Corp. TransMemory USB Flash Memory

This is what hwinfo tells me:

  2: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_U3_System'

What you have appears to be one of those U3 drives. Visit http://www.u3.com/uninstall and you will find an uninstall utility using which you can disable the cdrom 'feature'. Unfortunately, the uninstaller runs only on windows, so you will need access to some windows box to run it from.

Apart from using the uninstaller, I do not think there is any way to disable the annoying cdrom completely.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi