Re: Intel Deluxe PC Camera

On Sunday 04 November 2007, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Well, I tried to follow the above instructions, but...
>
> I didn't have the kernel headers for my 2.6.16 kernel and they do not
> seem to be available in the Etch repository.  I took this as a sign that
> it was time to upgrade my kernel and upgraded to 2.6.22-3-k7 from
> backports.  Then I reran module-assistant.
>
> This time, m-a found and downloaded the kernel headers.  I then selected
> the module to compile.  The gspca-source was not listed, so I used the
> spca5xx-source.  When I tried to build the sources, however, the build
> failed.  The logfile contained nothing but the date and time, so I have
> no specific errors to report.  It may be that the problem is using
> spca5xx-source instead of gspca-source, but that was not listed as an
> option.  If I download it manually, might m-a find it and allow me to
> use it.
>
> Any ideas on what I should try next?
>
> --
> Marc Shapiro
> mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Marc,

You have a couple of options, one is to upgrade your etch to the current
2.6.18-5 kernel and then build the spca module.  I built the spca module from
source with 2.6.18 kernel.

The spca5 source doesn't build with the newer kernels 2.6.22.  You need to use
the gspca-source.

I am running testing/unstable, and gspca-source is available in
testing/unstable repositories.  If you grab the 2.6.22 from backports, they
might also have that source package.  Otherwise you could just grab it from a
debian repository or use apt-pinning to pin a lower priority for
lenny/testing and and then grab the gspca source.

I am using the gspca module for my web cam, so do know that the module builds
with 2.6.22.

John