Re: I value your time :) - Re: Other avenues to get help

Augustin wrote:
3) I value your time. I really do :) As a proof, I can tell you the following story
Interesting story.

<snip>
So, if today I come to you with this new hardware problem, it's because I have RTFM'ed and searched for a long time without finding a solution. This problem (I think it's been the same cause all along) has been recurring on this computers for years, and by now, I really need help to get to the end of it.

This indicates that you have a question. But you never asked it (as far as I can tell).

It's good that you're doing your own homework; very good. But the purpose of this list is to help each other; it's not intended as a "last resort" resource. We don't really want the list cluttered with the same questions over and over, especially when the answers to those questions are easily found with just a little bit of research, which is where doing your own homework comes into play. But we don't mind traffic that presents new problems or problems that aren't readily addressed by the existing documentation. In other words, don't be afraid to post your questions; that's what we're here for.

We're glad you're doing your own research, but if you don't find the answers in the Debian Mailing List archives, you might be doing the community a favor by asking here so the topic will become documented in the Debian resources.

Oh, btw, this mailing list discourages CC:ing your posts to people who have responded to your posts, unless a copy is specifically requested. Most everyone on this list is subscribed to the list, meaning that we get the message once when it's addressed to debian-user@lists.debian.org;, and then a second time if you CC: us; we don't need two copies of the same message. This doubles the traffic, and doubles the expense for people paying for their Internet access by the byte. Just FYI.

--
Kent