Re: Other avenues to get help

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 09:54:42AM +0800, Augustin wrote:
> Besides this list, which other avenues exist where I could get expert
> advice?
> I posted something a couple of days ago (about the Debian install
> freezing), but I received no reply, indicating that nobody here knows
> the answer.
> This is a problem that has been plaguing me for a long time and if  I
> don't know how to install debian on this computer, I may as well
> throw it away and buy a complete brand new one :-/ .
>
> I have been searching the web for clues on how to resolve this
> hardware issue but so far no cookie.
> Where can I get in touch with people knowledgeable about hardware, who
> would be willing to help me out?
>
> Anyway, I'll keep searching on my own and see what I can find.

OK, lets look at the install freezing issue.

Did you read the installation manual (the whole thing, not just the
howto)?  Did you submit an installation report as it suggests?  Have you
subscribed to debian-boot which is where they go?

We're users.  Yes, some of us may have run the Etch installer.  More
have probably just upgraded from Sarge and perhaps Woody before that; it
may have been over 5 years since some of us ran the installer and it has
changed a lot.

Debian-boot is all about getting the installer to boot and install.

That said,

I'm willing to try to sort it out if you're using the plain (non-GUI)
installer and not installing directly to a desktop-environment system
(since I don't use one).  I can try to help you go from bare-metal to a
minimal base install text-mode/command-line-interface Debian-Etch
system.  Keep it on Debian-user.

Doug.