Re: resolv.conf question (???)

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 05:25:14PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 02:45:25PM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:13:55 -0400
> > "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
 >
> > So resolvconf might be useful say, on a laptop where one might be
> > connected by ethernet at the office, wireless during lunch and then
> > dialup at home?

Or you have a main box that usually connects to the net with ppp and a
desktop box that normally connects via the main box.  As a back-up plan
in case something happens to the main box, move the external modem to
the desktop and use it as the firewall/internet access and the main box
can access the net through the desktop.

Sort of a unique case on my part, but it is part of my
bare-metal-recovery plan and is tested.

> Thanks, all. I had looked into resolveconf earlier.  It was given an
> enthusiastic recommendation by Martin Krafft in his book, but when I
> looked at some info on the web, I got the impression that it was a
> back-end thing that was only called by other programs.
>
> NetworkManager is installed as part of the initial installation of
> desktop Etch, so I'm reluctant to remove it without first learning a
> lot more than I currently know about networking. When I google it, I
> learn that it is intended for managing simple single-user networking
> issues which isn't exactly my problem, so maybe I do need to remove
> it. But I tried, and something I did killed the computer so it
> wouldn't reboot. (I'm writing this on a different box while I do
> reinstall of Etch on that box.)
>
> I think I'll want to start a new thread with a rather different thrust
> when that box starts functioning again.

It would have been installed if you chose the 'desktop' task to bring in
gnome.

If you want a good learning experience, try installing and not brining
in any tasks.  You get a minimal base install without a 'network
manager' with network setup the semi-old-fashioned-debian way.

Doug.