Re: resolv.conf question (???)

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 02:45:25PM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:13:55 -0400
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:42:04AM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:10:25 -0400 "Douglas A. Tutty"
> > > <dtutty@porchlight.ca>

> > > Perhaps I didn't understand everything, but I decided I didn't
> > > need resolvconf.  I chose, instead, to use resolv.conf and to
> > > configure everything myself.
> >
> > Its helpful if your method of connecting to the internet changes
> > your nameservers.  I'm on dialup so it changes on each dialing.
> > Its especially helpful if sometimes you use ppp and othertimes
> > eth0 or something.
> >
> > Doug.
> >

> So resolvconf might be useful say, on a laptop where one might be
> connected by ethernet at the office, wireless during lunch and then
> dialup at home?

Thanks, all. I had looked into resolveconf earlier.  It was given an
enthusiastic recommendation by Martin Krafft in his book, but when I
looked at some info on the web, I got the impression that it was a
back-end thing that was only called by other programs.

NetworkManager is installed as part of the initial installation of
desktop Etch, so I'm reluctant to remove it without first learning a
lot more than I currently know about networking. When I google it, I
learn that it is intended for managing simple single-user networking
issues which isn't exactly my problem, so maybe I do need to remove
it. But I tried, and something I did killed the computer so it
wouldn't reboot. (I'm writing this on a different box while I do
reinstall of Etch on that box.)

I think I'll want to start a new thread with a rather different thrust
when that box starts functioning again.

Thanks,

--
Paul E Condon