Re: how to install Lenny with hard drive

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:45:47PM +0100, Dominik ??erba wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 01:21:35PM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> >
> > The easiest way to get the images is to download the USB stick image,
> > then mount it loop and pull out what you need. So you end up needing
> > three files:  the kernel, an initrd.gz and an iso to put on the hard
> > drive for the installer to mount loop (which it will do automatically).
> >
> > I'm assuming that you don't just have a USB stick which the box can
> > boot.
> >

> But which files I have to download to install Debian testing?

Keep the comments to the list.  I've cc'ed this so it goes back there.

OK, I haven't run 'testing' since Etch went stable, but here goes:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer

Then, since you want something other than a CD, use a daily-build, other
images, i386:

http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/

hd-media

get MANIFEST and MD5SUMS

then you see what you need:

boot.img.gz is an image for a 250 MB USB stick
and there's the kernel (vmlinuz) and initrd.gz

now, go back to the debian-installer page and get yourself a daily-build
netinst.iso file to put on your hard drive or USB stick.  That would be
debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso and grab that MD5SUMS file too to verify
your download.

Don't forget to get a copy of the installation manual by following the
links on the debian-installer page.

Doug.