Re:

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 01:21:35PM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:33:37 +0100 (CET)
> Dominik __erba <dono@wz.sk> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I want to install Debian testing from HDD. I can't install it from
> > CD/DVD because my DVD-ROM isn't working properly.
> > For this unusual installing I need to download: 1. installation
> > image 2. files hd-media/initr.gz and hd-media/vmlinuz . I've
> > downloaded the installation medium to the root directory. But I
> > can't find the right version of files initr.gz and vmlinuz. I
> > tried those files from the image, but an installation process
> > wasn't proper because it was finding the installation image on
> > CD-ROM. I tried some version of these files from
> > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current//images/hd-media/
> > but the installator said: versions of kernel (in image and file,
> > which I've downloaded) aren't the same, so the installation
> > process didn't work. I was finding these files but I still can't
> > install it from HDD. I hope, somebody can help me.
> > Thanks...

The easiest way to get the images is to download the USB stick image,
then mount it loop and pull out what you need. So you end up needing
three files:  the kernel, an initrd.gz and an iso to put on the hard
drive for the installer to mount loop (which it will do automatically).

I'm assuming that you don't just have a USB stick which the box can
boot.

Doug.