Re: font change after kdm/xdm login

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:39:08 +0100, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> i am using enlightenment 0.16 as my window manager. up to now i was using
> xdm as my login manager. recently, i tried to install and use kdm...
>
> then, fonts in several applications (e.g., psi, iceweasel, conky, ...)
> differ when i log in using xdm (the fonts i am used to - optimized for my
> desktop) and kdm (different fonts than i am used to, so they don't look
> well and my desktop customization is gone). for me it seems that, e.g.
> 'arial:size=8' used in psi after login with xdm, is a completely different
> from arial:size=8 font used in psi after login with kdm.

Does it substitute a different font (family) or does it show the same
font rendered differently (larger/smaller, blurrier/more ragged, etc.)?

> could anybody shed some light in this, please? probably some kdm config
> issue? is it somehow setting some environment variables that are changing
> font handling/preference/...?

I would start by comparing the output of these commands for the two
situations:

xdpyinfo | grep resolution

xrdb -query | grep Xft

fc-list | grep -i arial

xlsfonts | grep arial

(The last one produces 162 lines of output on my system, so you might
 want to use diff.)

          Florian   |