installing XFCE - again

Hi all,
     Commands like "apt-get *" have gone on strike in my computer and
they are not going to work like how they have been so far. Synaptic
will hang itself after "7 of 20 files" .Many posts regarding this
topic are explained with only "apt".  System->Quit->session->start
xclient will not work in my computer .

           Yes, I forgot the question. I want to get the whole .deb
package for Ubuntu 7.04 from the net( not via apt) , sothat I can
install it as one more .deb package . I am finding only the source
code in XFCE.org.
 The binary distribution for XFCE in debian group will say"GLib  is
not found  and I am quitting this installation" .  I want to know
whether I can download  XFCE as a .deb package from the net and can I
install the same with "dpkg"?

Thanks.