WINE under Lenny

I need to run a Windows program or two for work, so rather than powerup my
laptop for 30 minutes of work per day, I thought I'd try to install the
programs on my Debian tower using WINE.

I installed the program using apt-get and as a test ran "wine wordpad".  No
window appeared, and mouse and keyboard inputs stopped working.  I had to
ssh into the box from the very laptop I was trying to avoid using in order
to kill the process.

So I downloaded the latest release from the winehq.com repository and
installed that.  And running "winecfg" stopped both mouse and keyboard
inputs, and I had to ssh into the box to kill the process.  In both cases, I
had to use kill -9 to actually stop them.

Is anyone having any luck with WINE?  I tried to trace the problem using
winedbg, but that locked things up, too.  Am I missing something obvious?

Please reply to the list rather than directly to me.

Thank you.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!