Re: GLIBC_2.4

On 10/31/07 22:54, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 08:31:45PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>>> This (or similar) kind of thing has been discussed before on the list,
>>> and ISTR that the debian packaging is pretty well hard-coded to non-local
>>> (i.e., the standard) target directories.  It'd be nice to be able to
>>> apt{whatever} install to local trees, but there's just no support in
>>> the underlying system for this.  I can't recall just why I ever wanted
>>> this feature, but would be interested if unpacking the deb and manually
>>> placing was a viable approach.
>> In a similar vein, I've wondered about regular users installing
>> packages when they aren't (or can't get) root. ITSM it might be nice
>> to be able to install in $HOME/blah as a fallback when installing as
>> non-root. BUt then there are potentially big security holes,
>> duplication of binaries, etc associated with that. But still, on
>> occaision, I see no problem with users apt-getting some mail client or
>> other user oriented package into their local tree. They can already
>> build from source to do this, so why not a .deb?
>
> My impression is that there's no particular reasons that it can't be done,
> but it just hasn't been done.  There are probably wish list requests to
> this effect filed away somewhere on this, or so I dimly recall.  My guess
> is that what it needs is a suitably motivated person to actually make
> it happen.

If $(HOME)/bin were first in your $PATH, then a malicious user or
app that has write access to your account, then they could put
sabotaged versions of common apps into $(HOME)/bin and do all sorts
of nasty things to you.

But then, I just noticed that somehow $(HOME)/bin is the first entry
in *my* $PATH!!!  Must find out how that happened...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA