Re: GLIBC_2.4

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:18:45PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 01:05:10PM +1100, hce wrote:
> > On 10/31/07, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
>  >
> > > How are you installing mutt? Are you compiling mutt from source or
> > > trying to install the Debian binary package?
> > I am compiling mutt from the source, so I can install it in my local
> > directory, rather goes to /usr.
>
> If all you want to do is put the mutt stuff in /usr/local, why not just
> unpack the deb and place it manually?  (or are search paths for libs
> coded in the binary, I don't know)?

This (or similar) kind of thing has been discussed before on the list,
and ISTR that the debian packaging is pretty well hard-coded to non-local
(i.e., the standard) target directories.  It'd be nice to be able to
apt{whatever} install to local trees, but there's just no support in
the underlying system for this.  I can't recall just why I ever wanted
this feature, but would be interested if unpacking the deb and manually
placing was a viable approach.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu