Re: Debian on Core2Duo 64bit

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:29:35PM +0100, P?l Cs?nyi wrote:
> 2007/10/31, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras <ghostbar38@gmail.com>:
> > Semih Gokalp wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > Which debian dist should I install on core2duo 64 bit pcu? x86 or amd64 ?
> >
> > amd64.
>
> amd64 is not only for the AMD processors?
>
> I have an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU6320  @ 1.86GHz
>
> Should I install too the amd64 Debian distribution on this system?

As long as you don't want to run one of the (couple of) third-party apps
that need i396 in Etch without also putting in an i386 chroot.  Note,
that many 32-bit apps will actually run in amd64 with the 32-bit libs
package.  I don't know about acroread since I don't use it.  Iceweasel
32-bit with flashplayer needed a chroot.  A chroot isn't much to set up
or maintain.

Doug.