Re: USB external hard drive spin down problem

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 01:15:44AM -0400, Marty wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:47:58PM -0400, Marty wrote:
>>On my Etch system a new Western Digital USB external hard drive seems to >>be automatically spinning itself down after a period of inactivity, and >>causing the USB controller to become unresponsive to all USB devices >>until the system is rebooted.
>>
>>I don't see any other problems. Based on my web search, it seems to be >>an old issue in Debian and some spinoff distros, with no clear >>resolutions that I could find. The exact behavior has been reported >>several times, but rarely and few of the reports are recent. My current >>workaround is to keep the drive busy while I am using it. I am hoping >>that there is some configuration or tool that resolves or works around >>this problem, which I am not aware of.
>
>Try hdparm to turn off the drive's auto-spindown. >

# hdparm -S0 /dev/sdb

I don't have it installed right now, but don't you have to tell hdparm
(with a param) that its a scsi or something (even though it should
figure that out with /dev/sdb)?  Anyway, from what I remember, you're
missing a param.

I've been experimenting for a few days now and still can't get hdparm or sdparm to work on the drive. Additional research suggests there is currently no way to change a USB drive standby timer using Debian/Linux. (See the USB section at http://sg.torque.net/sg/sdparm.html).

In the meantime I've discovered I can start or stop the drive using sg-start, athough it doesn't wake up the drive if it spins down as a result of the standby timeout, so a reboot is still required. I suspect that this is a kernel bug.