USB external hard drive spin down problem

On my Etch system a new Western Digital USB external hard drive seems to be automatically spinning itself down after a period of inactivity, and causing the USB controller to become unresponsive to all USB devices until the system is rebooted.

I don't see any other problems. Based on my web search, it seems to be an old issue in Debian and some spinoff distros, with no clear resolutions that I could find. The exact behavior has been reported several times, but rarely and few of the reports are recent. My current workaround is to keep the drive busy while I am using it. I am hoping that there is some configuration or tool that resolves or works around this problem, which I am not aware of.

Thanks for any theories or solutions.