Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude

On Oct 28, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 10:12:31AM -0700, Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu > was heard to say:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:01:02 -0700
Jeff Grossman <jeff@stikman.com> wrote:

I was just reading the forums at forums.debian.org and came across a
thread about apt-get and aptitude. I just installed Debian this week
after moving over from Gentoo.  I have only been using the apt-get
method because that is all I ever saw mentioned. But, I guess aptitude is the preferred Debian method now. Is there a safe way for me to start using aptitude instead of apt-get? What is the best way for me to make
the switch?

For new installs it is actually recommended to use aptitude. However, from following the recent apt-get vs aptitude threads, there doesn't seem to be any big difference between the two. So if you are comfortable with apt-get there is no need to switch.

 I'd say the main difference is that apt-get is a command-line tool,
whereas aptitude is an interactive tool that can be driven from the
command-line.

I would disagree. Aptitude supports command-line operation as well as interactive.

aptitude install <packagename>
aptitude update
aptitude upgrade
aptitude remove <packagename>  <-- Added benefit, cruft goes away too.

All work just fine... and don't launch the CUI. (Character User Interface?)

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com