Apt-Get or Aptitude

I was just reading the forums at forums.debian.org and came across a thread about apt-get and aptitude. I just installed Debian this week after moving over from Gentoo. I have only been using the apt-get method because that is all I ever saw mentioned. But, I guess aptitude is the preferred Debian method now. Is there a safe way for me to start using aptitude instead of apt-get? What is the best way for me to make the switch?

Thanks,
Jeff