Re: Fresh Etch netinstall problems...

Some progress...

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 03:55:24PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> [...]

snip..

> Try aptitude there (thus with the installer's kernel).  If
>
> Ok, that seemed to work ok. Here is what uname -a produces:
>
> Linux precision 2.6.18-5-486 #1 Fri Jun 1 00:07:22 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> vs the kernel on the hard drive, which is:
>
> Linux precision 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Fri Jun 1 00:47:00 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> The only difference I see is the SMP - which as mentioned, I have tried
> disabling with a 'nosmp' argument.

Oops - overlooked the 486/686 difference initially..

When I spotted that, I tried installing the 486 kernel from the
chrooted rescue media...

Bingo - It booted all the way and I now seem to have a working (though
at reduced functionality) system...

X comes up fully and everything seems to work, except that I only
have a uni-processor system now, which is a bit of a bummer...

But this is progress, and hopefully a clue as to the problem...

So now I wonder what kernel difference could be causing a problem on this
particular system. Could it be a SMP problem, even though running the 686
kernel with 'nosmp' option still exibits the instability? Or does that
mean it is some other difference between 686/486 kernel??

Any idea where I can go from here? I really would hate to have to settle for
50% of my processing power...

I suppose I could try to lay my hands on an IDE drive and do a test install
on that with the 7890 disabled. That would determine if the SCSI controller
really is complicit in my problem.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com