Re: mySQL and 'testing'

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 18:33, Jeff D wrote:
> ieb wrote:
> > Sorry if this repeats a previous query.... I did scan the list of topics
> > but couldn't spot this.
> >
> > I am running the 'testing' version.   I came back from 3 weeks offline
> > and simply let synaptic gather all the updates and apply them (OK.. yes
> > , that was probably a bit dumb... but too late now)...
> > Everything seemed to go ok until I went to log in to mySQL.  and it cant
> > find the socket.  I tried to update the files using the mysql-client and
> > mysql-server, and although the client ran OK the server complains about
> > an unspecified dependency error and a corrupt server file.
> >
> > Has anyone else come across this, or should I start panicking now?
> > Thanks
> > Ian
> >

> Are the errors with the server reported through synaptic or when you try
> to start the server? Have you tried to resolve the dependancies with
> synaptic?  And could you also post the error messages you get?
>
> Thx,
> Jeff

Hi Jeff, sorry for the delay in responding....

>Are the errors with the server reported through synaptic or when you
>try to start the server?

Both.

It began with me firing up mysql-navigator... it started OK and showed
the option to connect to the localhost -  but when I tried to connect to
the db it reported:

Cannot connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'[2]

So I, somewhat simplistically, presumed that one of the many dozens of
updates that ran after my period away from my desk had screwed-up MySQL.
Because this is a relatively new machine with only small volumes of
data in the databases (which I could reconstruct if 'push came to
shove') I decided to simply reinstall MySQL.

The client seems to install OK using Synaptic but when it gets to the
server Synaptic baulks and reports :-

E:mysql-server-5.0: sub-process post-installation script returned error
exit status 1
E: mysql server: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

My biggest problem is that I am still unfamiliar with where all the logs
and programmes are maintained/held in Linux, so my investigations tend
to consist of repeatedly lurching from one wild idea to the next in the
forlorn hope of gathering a clue as to the root of the problem (rather
than having the detail knowledge necessary for any systematic probing
and fault identification). Therefore any help/advice is gratefully
received.

Ian