Re: whats the need of files in /usr/lib/apt/methods/*

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:05:49AM -0700, varun_shrivastava wrote:

> hi
>
> i am wondering that why some files like http gpgv etc are provided in apt
> package even if they are already present on the system.
>
> Are they required for proper functioning of apt or they are just plugins
> which can be safely removed
>
> similarly some information regarding requirement for following
>  /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/apt/*
> /usr/lib/dpkg/enoent
> /usr/lib/dpkg/dpkg-gettext.pl
> /usr/lib/dpkg/mksplit
> /usr/share/dpkg/ostable
> /usr/share/dpkg/cputable
> /usr/lib/libapt-inst-libc6.3-6.so.1.1.0
>
> thanks
> varun
I would suggest reading up on LFS. /usr/lib is for libraries, whereas
/bin,/sbin,/usr/bin,/usr/sbin are for binaries. So while apache2 is in
/usr/sbin/apache2, it has nothing to do with
/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/apt/*. /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/apt/* are 'methods'
for apt/dpkg to use. the 'http' method is used to get info/data by the
http method, its not related to a web server.
It is not generally wise to delete files unless you know exactly what
they do and why you do or don't need them. In this case, they are
needed. But you are free to break your system as a learning exercise ;-)

-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|