Re: Silly question: Where's eth0?

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum(bg271828@yahoo.com) is reported to have said:

> >> I know this must be an incredibly dumb question, but i cant find my
> >> eth0 interface.
> >>
> >> I normally use a WiFi connection on my laptop, running Etch with
> >> Gnome. But i just brought the computer into an office, plugged in an
> >> Ethernet cable, and waited for NetworkManager to pick it up. And
> >> waited. And waited. Eventually i took a look at the Desktop ->
> >> Administration -> Networking tool, and there was not eth0 listed
> >> there, and then i ran ifconfig and eth0 isnt there either.
> >>
> >> My /etc/network/interfaces does have "allow-hotplug eth0" in it. And
> >> i am getting flashing lights from the plugged-in Ethernet port, so
> >> it's not a dead connection. Why is this interface missing for me,
> >> and how do i get it back?
> >>

> >The best way to fix this is to install the debian-reference package.
> >
> >Chapter 10, Network Configuration, will answer all of your questions.
>
> I did read Chapter 10 online, more than once, and im afraid that i didnt see an
> answer to my question there. Everything assumed that the interface was available,
> an everything i did try to do to get it up (i.e. using ifup or ifconfig) just gave
> me "Ignoring unknown interface" or "No such device" errors. Also section 10.6.5.
> mentions network-manager as something that doesn't exist in Debian yet, although it clearly does,
> which is a further worry because thats what im trying to use.
>
> If its really there and i just cant see it, i apologize, but i did say it was a "silly" question.

It's not a silly question at all.  I thought we could save a lot of
questions if you looked at that chapter first.

Please show us what the /etc/network/interfaces file looks like, other
then just the "allow-hotplug eth0" entry.

The contents of the /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules mnight
also be helpful.

Every program has two purposes -- one for which it was written and
another for which it wasn't.