Help Getting Connected to Internet

Hi,

This is a continuation of thread called 'Help with Debian Install' which
I started 10/24/2007, but enough has changed since then that I thought I
would start over.

Originally I was using the netinstall image, but I gave up on that and
downloaded debian-40r1-i386-CD-1.iso. I did a complete install with this
image skipping the steps that wanted to connect to a mirror. Everything
from the CD appeared to install without error (except for connecting to
mirror and the security updates).  So I now have a running debian system
except it will not connect to the Internet.

I swapped cables as someone suggested.  The problems stayed with the old
computer, not the cable.

The old computer does not really have a brand name.  It is hand built.
The mother board is a FIC PA-2007 which has four PCI slots.  The NIC card
is plugged into one of the PCI slots.  The processor is a AMD K6.

In the install (now from the CD-1 disk) I chose DHCP and it reported that
networking was successfully installed. (As an experiment, I also then
changed to static IP with the same IP as dhcp had assigned but now I
could enter the mask and gateway (my router) but nothing changed by doing
this, so I put it back to dhcp)

My network consists of a linksys wireless router and DSL modem one other
desktop computer, several wireless laptops, and a Vonage phone adapter.
>From the old computer I can ping any of the other computers, and in fact
can see and read files on the samba server on one of my other computers.
>From any other computer on my network, I can ping the old computer.  The
'old' computer is the one I am trying to get Debian running on.

>From the old computer, I can NOT get out to the Internet.  I can not ping
the router, or connect to it via the browser.  I can not ping
linux.csua.berkeley.edu either by its domain name or by it's ip address.
However, under Desktop->Administration->Networking in the DNS tab, I see
correctly listed my isp's DNS server ip's which suggests during the
install, my old machine must have communicated with my router, because
did not enter this data.

If I do ifconfig on the old computer, I get:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:78:1E:66:90
          inet addr:192.168.1.103  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:10462 (10.2 KiB)  TX bytes:5752 (5.6 KiB)
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6200

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:4352 (4.2 KiB)  TX bytes:4352 (4.2 KiB)

If I do route on the old computer I get

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

For comparison, if I do route on one of my working desktop computer, I get

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

If anyone is interested in looking at the output of dmesg, I can put it
on a file and email it to them.  I won't post it here, unless you want it
(it is long) but the last four lines (which mean nothing to me, but maybe
do to you) are:

NET: Registered protocol family 10
lo: disabled privacy extensions
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
eth0: no IPv6 routers present

If there is anything more specific you would like me to look for or grep
for in dmesg or any log, let me know.

I also went back this morning in the expert gui install mode and had it
just reinstall networking and it reported success, but nothing changed -
no access to Internet

Thanks to all of you who took the time to read any of this, or my
able to try any experiments you all might like me to try and tell you
want the logs or output it.  We must be close.  It is just some little
thing I am missing that is keeping my blocked from the Interent.

Ed