Re: Help Getting Connected to Internet

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 05:18:13PM -0000, Ed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a continuation of thread called 'Help with Debian Install' which
> I started 10/24/2007, but enough has changed since then that I thought I
> would start over.

Glad you're still here.

> Originally I was using the netinstall image, but I gave up on that and
> downloaded debian-40r1-i386-CD-1.iso. I did a complete install with this
> image skipping the steps that wanted to connect to a mirror. Everything
> from the CD appeared to install without error (except for connecting to
> mirror and the security updates).  So I now have a running debian system
> except it will not connect to the Internet.

Ok

> I swapped cables as someone suggested.  The problems stayed with the old
> computer, not the cable.

Ok

[...]

> My network consists of a linksys wireless router and DSL modem one other
> desktop computer, several wireless laptops, and a Vonage phone adapter.
> >From the old computer I can ping any of the other computers, and in fact
> can see and read files on the samba server on one of my other computers.
> >From any other computer on my network, I can ping the old computer.  The
> 'old' computer is the one I am trying to get Debian running on.

So you can connect even to the wireless laptops, *through the router*?

> >From the old computer, I can NOT get out to the Internet.  I can not ping
> the router, or connect to it via the browser.  I can not ping
> linux.csua.berkeley.edu either by its domain name or by it's ip address.
> However, under Desktop->Administration->Networking in the DNS tab, I see
> correctly listed my isp's DNS server ip's which suggests during the
> install, my old machine must have communicated with my router, because
> did not enter this data.

If the answer to my question is 'yes' it very much seems to me it's the
router. It seems like the router would not allow your computer out on
the internet. BTW, you didn't specify how is you computer connected to
the router: through a switch or does the router have an integrated
switch? Did you also try to use a different port (maybe the one of the
computer that works).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)