Re: Debian Install help

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:39:20PM -0000, Ed wrote:

> Interesting.  From the affected machine, I can NOT ping 192.168.1.1 but
> from affected machine, I CAN ping other machines on my local lan.  I can

can your *other* machines ping to 192.168.1.1?

I think maybe you've got some architecture issues in your network. Maybe you
are somehow misusing an uplink port on a switch or something like
that?

> not ping anything on the internet from the affected machine, but can from
> any other machine on my home lan.  The output of 'route' looks
> essentially the same on the affected machine as it does on working

essentially the same means different, so how about providing us a
working and non working route?

> machines. So, I think it is definietely some kind of problem with my
> router/old machine. (This old machine 'used' to work with win95 and also
> redhad 7.0 through the same router and dsl modem and same network card
> years ago.)

what are you using for a router? maybe you've somehow cnofigured a
firewall such that this machine is not allowed out? Is your whole
lan on dhcp? if so, are any of the "statically" defined? is your
router/firewall limiting which parts of the address range are allowed
out? do you have separate dhcp ranges with different rules?
can you try giving the install machine a fixed ip for the install
process? can you plug the machine directly into the router just for
the install and if so does that help? (that would have the effect of
removing all other variables and help pinpoint the error). Maybe
you've got a borked dhcp system and its assigning the same address to
multiple machines? etc etc etc

there are many possible causes or work around for this
issue. Hopefully, I've spurred you to find something