Wireless + Uverse a no-go

I just had AT&T Uverse service installed, replacing Comcast cable.  The
desktop, running etch, performs with an ethernet connection, but I can't get
wireless going on a  laptop, IBM T30, also etch.

The card is recognized:
	dmesg|grep wlan0:
	wlan0: vendor: 'NETGEAR WG511 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card'
	wlan0: ethernet device [MAC addreess] using NDIS driver netwg511 . . .

I changed  /etc/network/interfaces:
	iface wlan0 inet dhcp
		wireless-essid 2wire341
		wireless-mode managed
		wireless key ******

iwlist s finds 3 ssid, including mine.  (How does iwlist find anything with no
connection?)

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart, I see:
	DHCPRELEASE on wlan0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
	send_packet: Network is unreachable

192.168.1.1 was the IP of the old router I had, now disconnected.  The
ATT "Gateway" - combo router, modem and whatever else - is 192.168.1.254.  I
haven't a clue where that wrong IP is coming from:
	grep -r 192.168.1.1 /etc
	/etc/ppp/options:# ms-dns 192.168.1.1

route -n comes up blank, of course.  route -n on the desktop gives
192.168.15.0 as the Destination.  I think the ATT system is DSL.  Win2k
connects with no problems.

Any hints, answers, pointers, etc. greatly appreciated.  Thanks.