Re: sound recording on dell laptop

[ Please turn off the HTML part of your messages. ]

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:43:31 +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >  Please send the full
> > output of amixer so that we can see the settings of the capture
> > channels.
>
> Here it is Florian:
>
> # amixer
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
>   Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 255
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 230 [90%]
>   Front Right: Playback 230 [90%]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>   Front Left: Capture 12 [80%] [on]
>   Front Right: Capture 12 [80%] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture Mux',0
>   Capabilities: volume
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: 0 - 4
>   Front Left: 0 [0%]
>   Front Right: 0 [0%]
> Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
>   Capabilities: enum
>   Items: 'Mic' 'Line'
>   Item0: 'Mic'

Did you try to turn up "Capture Mux" and/or to switch "Input Source"
from "Mic" to "Line"? Running "alsamixer" will give you direct access to
these controls. (Use the cursors keys to move and change volume, TAB to
switch between playback and capture channels, "M" to toggle mute, and
SPACE to switch capture on and off.)

After changing settings, I would run

arecord -d 5 -f cd -t wav test.wav

to record for 5 seconds and then

aplay test.wav

to see if you were successful. You can also run a media player to
produce some sound and see if you can record that. This might help you
to figure out how the different settings work. If you can capture the
sound that alsa plays but nothing from the microphone then maybe the
microphone is broken.

          Florian   |