Re: etch installer fails to recognize existing lvm

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:39:01PM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > I think that the problem is that the LVM setup can't be shared from
> > different dual-boots.  Before we try to answer the question you asked,
> > perhaps we should ask why you need an i386 dual-boot instead of an i386
> > chroot?
>
> What is the advantage of a chroot? It is certainly more difficult to set
> up and more work to maintain.

Huh?  I created a LV to mount on /srv, then created a directory
/srv/chroot/etch-ia32 to put the i386 system.  Then I used debootstrap
to put an i386 etch system there.  I install schroot on the main system.
Then anything I want to run in i386 is done with schroot -pc etch-ia32.

> My personal reasons for i386:
>
> - - I use the 64-bit machine interchangably with my 32-bit laptop, so all
> programs, behaviour etc. should be identical (without too much hassle).

Of course they should run the same, other than prefacing anything with
schroot -pc etch-ia32.  For buttons on a desktop, just program that in.
For a terminal, just run the schroot alone and you'll have a terminal in
the chroot on which to run whatever you want.

> - - some packages are not available for amd64 (mainly non-free,
> backports), so I presently use different software versions on both
> machines or the software is not readily available on amd64 (which is bad)
>

> - - some web pages, which I can not avoid using, don't run on the amd64 box.

I normally run Konqueror but there are a couple of sites that need
iceweasel.  There are a couple of sites that need flash.  I combine them
and only have iceweasel and flash installed in the chroot.  On Lenny,
the problem is solved with a wrapper.  The other non-free I'm aware of
is acroread used to fill in pdf forms.  Evince in Sid I understand can
do that now.  Other than this, I haven't heard of anything else that
doesn't work on amd64.

> With some hassle, I expect I could solve those problems.

I'm on dialup so it took a bit to debootstrap the system.  Then it took
me about an hour to read the docs and set up schroot.  Then, just treat
the i386 as a separate box that has to be kept up-to-date.  Its simpler
than needing a dual-boot.

> What are the advantages of staying with plain 64-bit instead of a
> userland-32 system with 64-bit kernel? Why should I bother?

As I understand it, it has to do with a 64-bit app being able to address
more memory, and for anything that needs large pointers.  For me it
probably doesn't matter; vim and mutt work similarily fast on an
Athlon64 3800+.  Browser speed is limited by being on dial-up.  The only
time I push the CPU is in image resizing, enhancing, etc.

So, it comes down to what you use the box for.  I can do about 95% of my
usual daily use on my P-II running Etch, or my 486 running NetBSD or
OpenBSD (Etch is now too slow).

Doug.