Re: raid1 mdadm v's lvm

Hi,

2007/10/18, Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk>:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:53:09PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > Interesting, I have a habit though of keeping root out of LVM,
> > very easy to get access to root in emergency  when its a raid1
> > parition
>
> Agree.

Only partly, with a somewhat recent boot CD you won't have any
problems mounting LVM on RAID or doing the necessary recovery tasks.
The debian Etch (even netinst iirc) has all the necessary tools.

> However, I personally use a much smaller root, say 1G or less, and
> then have /usr, /var (and possibly some others depending on the
> purpose of the machine) inside LVM.

For that reason i keep as much as possible in LVM. Maintenance just is
easier when you find you ran out of space on some partition and simply
can lvresize it. But I guess that is just personal preference

> I have avoided LVM mirroring because as far as I am aware the
> machine would not come up entirely without human intervention if a
> drive would be lost - please correct me if I am wrong there..

IMHO lvm mirroring is useless. if I do LVM (on servers) I have
multiple drives and i tend to trust mdadm more in this field than LVM
(don't ask me why - I couldn't logically say why).

martin

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours