Re: raid1 mdadm v's lvm

Hi,

2007/10/17, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>:
> 4 partitions to make up 4 md's
>

> md0 /boot ( ~ 500M - I like have space here) sda1 + sdb1
> md1 / (~10G) sda2 + sdb2
> md2 swap sda3 + sdb3
> md3 LVM PV sda4 + sdb4
>
> from the PV I make a VG and then lots of LV's
>
> I have used this sort of set for a while, but what I would like to do is not
> make md3 and instead use sda4 + sdb4 as 2 PV and then I get the chance to
> decide which pv is made up of mirrored space and which is not.

personally I'd either use

option A
md0 /boot
md1 sda + sdb (LVM on top of that)

option B (data and system separately)
md0 /boot
md1 sda5 + sdb5 (logical partitions here, I just like them better)
md2 sda6 + sdb6 (again)
(for testing)
md3 sda7 + sdb7 (about 100 - 500 MB to test raid expansion, network
block devices, ata over ethernet, iscsi..... - you could do that with
option A too)

md1 --> vg /system
md2 --> vg /data
md3 --> vg /playground

I use system and data seperately because If I'm ever going to grow the
RAID or add another disk i can (hopefully) move/backup the data LVs to
the LVs on system for intermediate backup (that is if I don't prepare
things and have an offline media at hand)

Pro: you can decide how much mirroring, etc, yadda, yadda you want for
the data VG (either thru LVM or mdadm or some other means)

also you can later on add - as said above - nbd's iscsi devices and
some such to /playground for experiments (which I found no matter how
secure/stable I want a server to be happens in the lifetime - I'm
unfortunately not in the financial position to have redundant systems
available)

hth
martin

PS: I wouldn't use LVM mirroring - stay for the partion layout with
LVM. stay for data security with mdadm. AND DO MAKE BACKUPS :)
--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours