Re: Bcc header in mails sent with mutt trough exim4 doesn't get striped

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 22:10:03 +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use on my laptop exim4 in combination with mutt. The versions are
> the following:
> ---(snip: dpkg --list exim4 mutt)---
> ii  exim4              4.68-1             meta-package to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
> ii  mutt               1.5.16-3           text-based mailreader supporting MIME, GPG, PGP and
> ---(snap)---------------------------
>
> Now my problem is: If I use some adress in the Bcc header, they does
> not get striped when exim4 send's them. In the NEWS.Debian.gz of mutt
> I read:
>
> ---(snip: README.Debian.gz)---
> We no longer unset write_bcc in /etc/Muttrc. If your MTA does not strip Bcc:
> headers, edit /etc/Muttrc. (exim4 and postfix strip them, exim(3) does not.)
> We also no longer unset use_from and use_domain. Mutt will use the contents
> of /etc/mailname to determine the domain part of the From: header.
> ---(snap)---------------------
>
> I configured my exim4 to send mails via a smarthost, and retrieving
> mails via fetchmail.
>
> When I set write_bcc="no" in my mutt configuration files, then it
> work's fine, but then the problem is, that in my sent-folder I get lost
> the bcc-headers.

This is a snippet from my ~/.muttrc:

set write_bcc
# create /etc/exim4/exim.filter with the line
#     headers remove "Bcc"
# edit /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template to add, early on, the line
#     system_filter=/etc/exim4/exim.filter
# run "update-exim4.conf" and restart exim4

The comments describe what I used to do to make exim4 remove the bcc
headers. (I found these instructions on some website, I think.) However,
I do not know if this still works on Debian, because for some time now I
have been using mutt's built-in smtp engine to contact the smarthost
directly, bypassing exim4. This works very well, the bcc headers are
saved locally but are not transmitted to any of the recipients. The
syntax is very simple:

set smtp[s]://[user[:pass]@]host[:port]/

(see file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#smtp-url)

          Florian   |