postgresql 7.4 won't start after sarge -> etch upgrade

Dear Debian experts,

I just upgraded an old Sarge server to Etch.

After the upgrade, I notice that the postgresq-7.4 server is not working.
ie : the postgreql process wont start by itself on system boot up

I dont know why the postgreql process wont start by itself - when I

/etc/init.d/postgresql-7.4 start
as superuser the postgresql server  did not start.

so I  replaced the system supplied file

with the following file

mlaks@A3:~$ cat /etc/init.d/postgresql-7.4

case "$1" in
                echo "Starting PostgreSQL daemon..."

                su - postgres -c '/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/postmaster -D \
                    /var/lib/postgresql/7.4/main  > /dev/null  2>&1 &'

                echo "Stopping PostgreSQL daemon..."
               su - postgres -c  '/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/pg_ctl  \
                                 stop -m smart -D /var/lib/postgresql/7.4/main '

                $0 stop
                sleep 1
                $0 start

             su - postgres -c   '/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/pg_ctl status -D  \
                             /var/lib/postgresql/7.4/main   '

                echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
                exit 1

now all works.

1) I dont know what went wrong with the  upgrade... I did not make any changes to postgresql.

This may have something to do with the new 7.4 / 8.1 split, but

1. I did not install 8.1
2. I have upgraded other servers before and dont remember this problem.

3. I also notice that  now the postgres user can no longer use

pg_ctl status - It says that pg_ctl is not found.

ie her ( :) ) PATH does not include
/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/, which may be part or all of the problem.

1. How should the sytem be working now?
2. has any one else had this problem?

How should I rectify the problem?