Re: Regarding tar and split

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 11:11:35AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
[snip: remote backups]
> It doesn't appear from the man page that rsync has the equivalent of
> cp --backup=t
> I use this and it is important to me. Nothing ever is deleted from my
> backup until I do a clean-up sweep on it (which I have never yet done).

The workaround would be to rsync to the other box, and do the cp
--backup=t there.  Costs more disk space, but saves network bandwidth.
[That may or may not be advantageous, of course]

Alternatively, you could commit everything to version control;  I do
something like that for most of my files.

Jon Leonard