Re: Regarding tar and split

Paul E Condon <pecondon <at> mesanetworks.net> writes:

> The difference is that afio compresses each input file individually, so
> if there is a read/write error, only one file is lost from the archive.
> (Actually, there are a lot more differences - to start with the options
> are totally different syntax and symantics.)

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

I have one final question: some people have brought up the strength of
programs like afio that compress files individually to protect against
corruption. Most of the things I archive are large image or movie files
(which typically don't compress well). I read through most of both
tar's and afio's man pages, and afio seems to have some interesting
features (like the ability to seek to blocks in an archive). If I
am not compressing the archive, does afio and/or cpio still have
benefits that make it more appealing than tar?

Regards,
Sean